Monday, October 12, 2009

Sharp losses yet wins Las Vegas Fans


In the main event, IFL veteran John Gunderson (22-6) became the first MMA Xplosion lightweight champion, following his submission victory over Steve Sharp.

But Sharp (24-11) was the aggressor for the majority of the fight, winning the opening round with his relentless striking.

“He was throwing so many elbows, and they were powerful,” Gunderson said.

Sharp continued to let the elbows fly in the second round, even after Gunderson had taken the fight to the ground.

But going into the third round, Gunderson had a renewed sense of urgency.

“I knew that if he landed a good elbow it would cut me and that would be the end for me,” Gunderson said. “So I felt like I just had to go out there and take it from him.”

Gunderson wrestled his way to a series of submission attempts in the third, before sinking in a kimura lock three minutes and 17 seconds into the round.

“Coming into this fight, I knew that if I lost it would be from the kimura,” Sharp said. “That kid has a strong, strong kimura and he’s good at it.”

To read more about the fights click here

To see a slide show of the fights click here

No comments: